Getting Started in ADISRA SmartView
ADISRA SmartView 4.0 is an easy-to-use, powerful application building program designed to get you connected to your machine and build simple yet sophisticated applications for collecting and viewing your machine data on your monitor as well as a tablet or cell phone with an HTML5 browser.
The Getting Started Guide tabs below will walk you through installing and setting up ADISRA SmartView and show you the basics of developing your first application. Then when you are ready for a bigger challenge, download the Advanced Getting Started Guide PDF at the bottom. This is your guide to showing you what’s under the hood of ADISRA SmartView.
Screen Captures of ADISRA SmartView Applications
To install ADISRA SmartView, we recommend that your system meet the following requirements in order to optimize its performance.
- CPU: 1.44 GHz
- RAM: 4 GB
- Disk Space (min):
- 32 bit, 8.0 GB
- 64 bit, 8.0 GB
- CPU: 1.7 GHz
- RAM: 6 GB
- Disk Space:
- 32 bit, 20 GB
- 64 bit, 20 GB
- Windows 10
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 7 SP1
- Windows Server 2019
- Windows Server 2016
- Windows Server 2012 R2
- Windows Server 2012 (64-bit edition)
- NET FRAMEWORK 4.8 REQUIRED
- OPC Core Components
The ADISRA SmartView installer will verify that the machine on which the software is being installed has all the necessary Software prerequisites. If any need to be installed (except Windows operating systems), the installer will install the necessary requirements.
NOTE: The installer will only check for the .NET Framework 3.5 + Service Pack 1 component; however, the installer will not install it. The user will be responsible for installing (or upgrading) this component. With all prerequisites properly installed, the next step is to install ADISRA SmartView.
To download ADISRA SmartView, please follow the steps below.
- Open a web browser and go to adisra.com.
- Click on Download Software link.
- Once your browser has completed the download, you must extract the software from the downloaded ZIP file.
Select the file, Right-click and select Extract files. Choose the location where you would like the software files extracted to.
The Installation Process
- .NET FRAMEWORK 4.8 REQUIRED: If you attempt to install ADISRA SmartView and have not installed Microsoft .NET Framework 4.8 Runtime, you will receive an error message:
You must go to the Microsoft website to install .NET Framework 4.8 Runtime:
Once you have downloaded the .NET installation file called “ndp48-web.exe”, double-click the file to complete the installation. You will be asked to restart your computer.
- Once ADISRA SmartView has been downloaded and extracted from the ZIP file as described in Downloading, go to the folder and double-click the “en-us” folder to open it. You must run the Setup.exe file as the Administrator by right-clicking on “SmartView.exe” and selecting “Run as administrator” from the drop-down menu.
- If this is the first time ADISRA SmartView is to be installed, a new window will open informing you that some components will be installed. Click on Install. For the component installation, accept the terms of installments and follow installation instructions on each screen. The following are the installation screens during the installment process.
For each component that needs to be installed, there will be message window with license and term agreements. To complete the installation, you need to accept each of the term agreements. Check any appropriate boxes and proceed.
- After you have installed the components have been installed, ADISRA SmartView program installations will begin. Click on Next, then click on accept the installation terms and follow the installation instructions.
After reading the entire License Agreement, select the “I accept the terms in the License Agreement” checkbox and click Next.
- When prompted, you must decide where to install ADISRA SmartView. The default location is in the Program Files folder. If you click Next, it will be installed in the default location which is “c:\Program Files(x86)\ADISRA\Adisra SmartView”. To install in another location, click the Change button and choose the location of your preference.
- When prompted, you can choose to install only ADISRA SmartView or Viewer or both on your computer. By default, both will be installed on your computer. To choose not to install either of them, deselect the option then click Next.
- Click Install to begin the installation of ADISRA SmartView.
After the installation has completed, click Finish and simply close the installer window.
Registering a License
Before you can use the software, you MUST register ADISRA SmartView.
- After you have installed ADISRA SmartView, there are two ways to register a license:
1.1. Open the Help Menu and click in the Register button, as in the following figure:
1.2. Go to the Windows toolbar: Start > All Programs > SmartView > Register License.
- By selecting to register using either method 1.1 or 1.2 above, the following window will appear:
- Click the button labeled “Generate license.code” to create the text filename with the Hardware ID. That file location will be displayed in the text box called “Output Path”
(Note: you can change the Output Path by clicking on the (…) graphic button next to the Output Path text box)
- Attach the text file named “SmartView.code” to an email and send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The software vendor will send back a License Key File that matches this Hardware ID. Download and save the license file to your storage drive (remember the location).
- Enter the license key file location in License Path text box, or browse to it by clicking on the (…) graphic button, and then click the Validate button.
- You will be prompted to confirm the operation once the program accepts (validates) your License Key.
- You are now ready to use ADISRA SmartView.
- Close the Register License window and run ADISRA SmartView.
Launching ADISRA SmartView
Once ADISRA SmartView is properly licensed, run the software by navigating to:
- Windows toolbar: Start > All Programs > ADISRA SmartView > ADISRA SmartView
- When you install ADISRA SmartView, program shortcuts will automatically be created on the desktop. Double-click the ADISRA SmartView icon on the desktop.
Note: If this is the first time ADISRA SmartView is opened, the Engineering Environment will be empty (as shown below). Otherwise, it will open with the last project that was used.
After you start ADISRA SmartView, you may Create a New Project or Open an existing project.
Get to Know the Engineering Environment
The Engineering Environment of ADISRA SmartView is a user-friendly, Ribbon-based Windows® interface with many features. The Engineering Environment is where you can configure the ADISRA SmartView development interface and begin working on a project right away.
The image above is a layout of the default ADISRA SmartView Engineering Environment. In the subsequent sections of the Getting Started Guide, we will refer to various areas of the Engineering Environment layout as reference. The areas of the Engineering Environment are:
- Menu Button
- Navigation Tree pane
- Logical Tree pane
- Quick Access Toolbar
- Search Output pane
- Engineering Log pane
- Properties pane
- Runtime Log pane
- Build Output pane
Note: For detailed explanation on the sections above, refer to the Help files in ADISRA SmartView or to the Advanced Getting Started Guide pdf below.
Creating a New Project
Now that you are familiar with the Engineering Environment, you can create a new project.
- Click the Menu Button in the top-left corner of the program window.
- Select New or press CTRL + N.
- A new “Save As” window appears. Select the folder in which to save the project and to give your project a name. By default, the project is created with a (.prj) file extension.
Note: Project names cannot contain special characters or spaces.
- To begin your project, familiarize yourself with the workspace layout. ADISRA SmartView displays the structure of the project in the Navigation Tree, as shown below.
As can be seen in the image of the Navigation Tree, some components are automatically created, such as Tags, Services, Alarms, Graphics, System Functions Library documents and others. The image represents the basic structure of the Navigation Tree for any project.
You may start using these documents or you may create new documents and customize.
Add Documents & Files to your Project
All components in the Navigation Tree are defined as documents in ADISRA SmartView such as Tags, Data Types, Graphics, Services, Triggers, Alarms, Histories, Recipes, and Reports. The Navigation Tree represents the folders and files created for each project in your hard disk. You may add and configure documents to any component in ADISRA SmartView.
Creating a New Document
To create a new Document for any component in the Navigation Tree, right-click on the component folder in which you want to create the document and select “New Document”.
An empty tab opens in the workspace where you will then create new files for that component (i.e. tags, recipes, reports, graphics, etc.).
Adding New Files
To insert a new file into a document, open the document you want to add the new tags to. When you open the document in the Engineering Environment, the Ribbon will update and display a new tab labeled for that component (see image below example for the “Tags” Ribbon). The available buttons on the Ribbon will change pertaining to the tab that you have open.
To create a new file for that component in the document, click the “+” button. You may configure the files that you create by using the Properties window.
Saving the Document
With new components are inserted, it is wise to save these changes made to the document. There are several ways to Save a document:
- Click on the Main Menu button and select “Save”from the drop down menu
- From the Quick Access Toolbar, click on the Save disk icon
- With the document you want to save open in the document area, press CTRL + S keys
Note: When a document has been changed, it is marked with the symbol “*″ next to the document name.
The Settings Ribbon is responsible for configuring Project Settings including Date and Time formats, Security, Graphics, Events, General, Viewer and Web, Tags and Script References, and others.
For details of each function, refer to the Help Files in ADISRA SmartView software.
ADISRA SmartView becomes a powerful programming tool in the hands of an engineer with knowledge of C# scripting language. If you are a beginner looking to dive into ADISRA SmartView but do not have a strong knowledge of C#, we recommend that you watch a C# tutorial and learn the basics.
There many free resources available online for C# beginners.